Luxury Milly's Most Popular Posts

Saturday 30 March 2013

My love for Animals/ The Charities in The Middle East





They are so cute how can people be cruel?




http://www.animalslebanon.org
http://www.dkc.ae
http://www.qaws.org
http://dogblogqatar.com


I first started visiting the Middle East nearly 3 years ago. My main trips were to Doha and me being me had to explore Doha on foot. Little did I know about the appalling sights in the streets where stray animals are concerned!

I'm a H U G E animal lover. Since I was 2 we have had several fish, cats, chickens, goats, mice, hamsters, dogs, ferrets and horses.Of course not ALL at the same time but now I have 2 cats and 2 dogs who I treat like they are my animal sons and daughters!  I respect animals and I appreciate that they are NOT humans, nor do they think or behave like humans, but never the less they are creatures made by god and all deserve the basic rights of eating, drinking, safety and not CRUELTY.

My god...my two dogs sleep in my bed for goodness sake! They get freshly cooked chicken and fish on a Sunday and I take them on holiday in the summer!! My cats live in an out house but it's carpeted and heated!! They all get 2 meals a day, vitamins, cuddles and walks....this IS normal for animal lovers all around the world.

Going back to my story, I was walking in Doha 2 years ago and I saw a kitten on the door step of a shop. It had sticky eyes that looked awful, matted dirty fur and very under weight. I walked past then I walked back. I bought some cat food and asked the guy in the shop to ensure he fed the kitten for me twice a day....crazy? Maybe but it was no skin off his nose to do it...

That night I lay awake in my hotel room tossing and turning. I woke up and started looking for cat charities in Doha and called a couple of places. They were all telling me the same story, that they had hundreds of cats and not enough homes for them.

I decided on some drastic action. I got a cardboard box and a blanket and went to look for the kitten... it was a little girl and she was adorable. I was tearful when I saw her eyes were so stuck together and when I picked her up she was so tiny, probably only 8-10 weeks old.I had already found a vet so I jumped into a taxi and gave him the address.The vet gave the kitten a good looking over and I had to leave her there for a few hours to be bathed and treated. I collected her and felt so happy that she could finally see a little bit better, the vet had given her the first inoculations required, she had antibiotics for her eyes, she's been wormed and also had a flee treatment.At this point, my friend was looking at me like I was a mad women "what are you going to do with her" she asked?

To cut a story short, I sneaked her into my hotel in the box and kept her there for a few days. She started thriving. She was purring away, eating and drinking milk.I still had to work so I placed the box into my wardrobe each time I had a Gentleman visitor.

On the second day I had a gorgeous looking guy visit me. He was a musician and a really interesting man.He asked me what the sound was? "oh, it's my pussy" I said....we both laughed! "Seriously" I said "I have a kitten in my closet"After an awkward silence I told him the story and he was amazed.
It turned out that the vet I had used was also his vet! He too was an animal lover and he knew that I was going back to the UK in two days and that I was in a serious panic to find a home for kitty.
He kindly organised and paid for his vet to finish her treatment and board her until they found her a home.I was ever so grateful but never got a chance to say thank you....

I left a little note for the vet to give to the new owner of my kitty and a week after I'd returned home I got a call from a lovely lady who had given kitty her new home.It was a happy ending for my kitten but there are still hundreds of animals in the Middle East who don't get such luck!

I WISH THAT THE AUTHORITIES IN DOHA WOULD FIRSTLY BAN THE SALE OF ANIMALS IN THE SOUQ WAGIF and secondly BRING IN SOME LAWS FOR ANIMAL PROTECTION.

I realise that there's more to this on a political level but HOW can these countries with such wealth, and especially one that's hosting the World Cup, not be seen to be doing more?!

I urge you to donate to any of the animal charities.
EVEN A SMALL AMOUNT HELPS

I'd love to hear your comments on this too...


Milly xx


 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Milly you know that i got my dog from Battersea Dogs Home and it breaks your heart how people can be so cruel or just kick them out these days - they say ''A dog is for life not just for Chrismas'' I agree. I sometimes think that animals are nicer than people.

    If you think the way they treat animals is not great in the Middle East you should see how badly they are treated in India - that really broke my heart seeing them playing chicken with the traffic on The Motorway - OMG xxx Liz H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'm strong enough to go to India....
    Just look at the way they treat women!
    That's another blog entry though!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments in relation to my posts